Beetroot chocolate mudcake in one easy-to-whip-up smoothie? You betcha!
This baby is such a quick & delicious way to get a good dose of body-loving nourishment, especially if you’re on the run as it literally takes a minute to whip up!
Now even though the majority of our smoothies contain green leaves, we absolutely love this smoothie for its blood building benefits (and of course its taste!)
So what exactly is blood building? Well!
- Beetroot is rich in folate, an important B vitamin that the body uses to make (or build) red blood cells. Without enough red blood cells, your body will be unable to transport life giving oxygen to all the areas of the body it needs to!
- It’s also a great source of nitrates, which helps to relax the blood vessels, improve blood flow & lower blood pressure
Not only that, beetroot has some other awesome benefits too:
- It boosts detoxification & supports liver health
- Improves physical performance
- Can improve brain function by improving blood flow to the brain
- Is packed with gut loving fibre
Not too shabby right?
A few other reasons why we love this smoothie:
Cacao is loaded with polyphenols, flavonoids & magnesium. It helps energy production, muscle function, improves heart & brain function & may even help to prevent cancer.
Coconut is one of our favourite sources of healthy, nourishing fats. It contains medium chain fatty acids which are easily used for energy by the body & lauric acid which is antimicrobial. Being such a good source of fat, it also helps with the absorption of other nutrients too.
Collagen plays a HUGE role in our health & it’s something that most people just aren’t getting enough of! Our hair, skin, nails, teeth & joints are all made up of collagen. It’s also incredible for your gut & liver health. Once we hit 25 we start producing less & less, so it’s important to get a good dose of collagen on the daily!
Alright – let’s get to the recipe!